View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 AM
AlienQuilter

Using batting will be too warm. I did a fleece quilt that way and it's too warm. I like to use a layer of flannel instead of batting. And they are right about not stitching too close. I tried a ladder stitch and my machine did not appreciate it a all! Some stitches are way too close. Live and learn. I'm doing a quilt now for the couch that will have minkee on the back with flannel inbetween. I plan on quilting it with just the flannel, then when I have all the seams secured with close quilting, lay the top/flannel on top of the minkee and just do some major quilt lines to hold it together.

Also, when I use minkee or fleece for the back, I pull it around to the front and hem it. There are several tutes already for hemming a quilt - just go to you tube and search for it. That fleece/minkee is a lot more durable then the fabric you normally use for binding. I have a couple of quilts in my living room that the binding on one needs to be replaced - it's thread bare, while the fleece quilt, which is roughly the same age, shows no wear. I say, if it's going to be washed a lot - like a baby/small childs quilt, don't use the binding - just him it.