View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Bneighbor

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I don't understand this repeated assertion that Wal-Mart has poor fabric. Maybe some Wal-Marts but our stores have always had good fabrics. The oldest store took it's fabric out for awhile but it's back now and the newest store (less than 2 years old) has always had some great fabric, 100% cotton, tightly woven, doesn't shrink excessively.....and it is much cheaper than the VERY SAME fabric at Jo-Ann's. About a year ago I bought some 100% cotton (green background with white dots) for $2.00 yd at Wal-Mart. It cut and sewed up beautifully. I loved it so much I went back and bought more just to have in my stash. Six months later Jo-Ann's had the same fabric at $5.99 yd. Fat quarters bought at Wal-Mart compare in every way to those bought at Jo-Ann's except in price: $.99 at Wal-Mart; $1.99 at Jo-Ann's.

Having said all that I still shop at Jo-Ann's; it's nearer and I can use coupons. But I don't hesitate to buy fabric at Wal-Mart, either. Some of it is better than fabric available at Jo-Ann's, and most of it is at least equal and much cheaper. We no longer have LQSs nor a Cloth World (do they still exist?) nor a Hancock's so those are not options. We do have Hobby Lobby--not very convenient to me--and of course if we choose to, we can drive 35 miles to Dallas--and get anything we want there. But in the meantime, I love that Wal-Mart has fabric!
The Walmart about 2 miles from my house has limited fabric. Some very nice and some not so nice. Prices a little higher than I would expect. But I have a Walmart about 20 minutes from my house that has a fabrics department that puts Joann's to shame and for that matter almost any store selling fabric in the area. The store manager said he set his best employee as "manager" (there are only department manager for a few departments). She orders fabrics and notions that are very good quality. I walked in the first time and was just in awe. Absolutely fantastic fabrics. The Joann's the next block over looks like a junk shop compaired to that Walmart. Joann's coupons are worthless. They send out these fantastic coupons that are worthless since they cannot be used on sale items...and conviently, everything is at least 10% off.