View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM
MTS
Banned

Here my challenge to myself was to make a two colored Blooming.
This was so easy.
I was in a LQS and the fabrics 1-4 were just sitting next to each other on the shelf.
They were from different collections but I was intrigued to see how it work.
This quilt is also the one where I learned (and I knew this from a Kaffe quilt but forget it) that while you can use stripes as one of the fabrics in the quilt, you really shouldn't use them as the last fabric because of the orientation.
Drives me crazy every time I see it.
A friend who is a Delft nut has had her eyes on this one for years.
Can't make up my mind if I want to part with.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393605[/ATTACH]
After making over a dozen Bloomings, I was still looking at fabric with the quilt in mind.
I'd go into shops and immediately look for good starter fabrics (see next post).
I had found and put together eight fabrics for another one, but I was really, really, really sick of 9Patches.
So I made a Blooming Lone Star - still a UFO because I can't decide how I want to finish it.
I have enough of fabric 3-8, so I might make a Blooming border.
Maybe.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393610[/ATTACH]

B made this one - the picture doesn't show how much that center glows.
Yeah, you can see some 9 patches, especially at the end, but it looks gorgeous on the bed.
Also all batiks - took us, like, 3 hours to pick out the fabrics.

It was so much more fun helping others make the quilt - I could find great combinations but didn't have to spend the money on the fabric or sew any more *#(@() 9patch blocks.
I could just experience it vicariously and enjoy the results.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393606[/ATTACH]

This one was for D's daughter - she wanted to have an overall underwater theme.
I love the way it came out.
I posted this one because you can see how a directional fabric can work - as long as it's not the last fabric.
When it's one of the center ones, the fabric in the 9patches and plain squares are oriented the same way so it's not so messy.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393607[/ATTACH]
The black square shows the fabric D started with, and then we built up and down from there.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393608[/ATTACH]

And this one was really a free-for-all.
When L came to class with only a few fabrics, we tried to use what was available in the shop to fill it out.
I honestly didn't know what was going to happen.
Turned out to be one of my all time favorites.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]393609[/ATTACH]

Someone had contacted me last month because on an earlier post I had mentioned some tips and tricks when making Bloomings.
I said I'd write it up for her .....but of course time got away from me again.
I sat down this afternoon to finish it, and I'll post it here when I'm done.

It's long, but it is NOT a tutorial.
And it makes NO sense if you don't have the book.
Just some things I've learned from either making the quilts myself, or helping others make them.
But it might be worth printing out and reading when you do get around to making your own.
Be forewarned.
They're addictive.

Oh, and http://pinterest.com/pin/187814246932218735/
So, sorry but I'm not going back to check. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails blooming-delft-sm.jpg   blooming-barbara-sm.jpg   blooming-debfish1-sm.jpg   blooming-debfish1-detailsm.jpg   blooming-lorraine1-sm.jpg  

bloominglonestar-sm.jpg  

Last edited by MTS; 02-06-2013 at 06:41 PM.