View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
karate lady

Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
Town I am in now is to small for a quilt shop to probably make any money. But I just moved up here from INland Empire of SO CA...big yuppy/middle class kind of location...Starbucks on every corner and a shopping mall on every intersection kind of place..and not a single quilt shop there! JOann's and Michaels is all!
But I am not really surprised to hear them closing...I see online the fabrics are $10 a yard and more! If you quilt alot for personal hobby...unless you are making big bucks on your job..who can afford $10 a yard? I know I can't! I look online and there are tons of fabrics...I was just "eyeball shopping" this morning...WONDERFUL fabrics, but for $10 a yard or more, it is just window shopping for me. I can't afford that. I was wondering why places like Joann's doesn't carry more of the wonderful prints like you can get online, but I guess store space is the issue but still....I think it is the price. Odds are if it is $10 a yard online it is probably $12 or more in a store. And i just think people can't afford to spend that much for fabric. Maybe a little here and there or for aspeciality quilt or something like that, but just for every quilt you make...it is just to expensive. I don't understand why it is so expensive...I know quality and all that, but still...if is isn't selling at $10 a yard...why not lower the price and keep your out sourcings open?
I too live in a small town (pop 450) so no shops. The $10. price tags keep me away from a lot of places, but that is why I shop on line with connecting threads and Fabric.com. Good prices and free shipping after a certain amount . (and I have NO problem reaching the amount) Also lots of yard sales and thrift store trips. Also people who know I quilt give me fabric. friend just gave me a basket full of some really nice yardage.