View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 PM
SteveH
Banned

PATH49 - So, you are saying that if you were given the option of buying a Singer Model 12 that was completely original and so,so looking with stiff hardware VS a Singer Model 12 that was very well restored to be "pretty" and work smoothly, people would chose the "unmolested original" for the same price or more? I do not think so.

Crappy restorations ALWAYS destroy value, we get that, but done correct, I do not believe the value is actually less for a restored piece.

Remember folks, the reality of the "value" of these machines is that they are not actually worth very much.

Value is first based on visual perception. I have bought over 20 machines, some are very "Rare" and I have not paid more than $100 for any machine (except the Howe Model B I just bought for 107)

Even among ourselves, we do not pay much for machines and we pride ourselves on finding "deals" If WE are not going to pay high prices, then who is? The folks who buy them for stupid prices and believe that they will be able to sell them to US for a profit...NOT!

Unless you machine was made VERY early in the process, has near perfect decals, or is a FW (grrrr) they are really not going to sell for a big profit.

I think a great example of how people "value" these units is the number of CL ads which only show the cabinet.

Last edited by SteveH; 02-07-2013 at 04:12 PM.