View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM
EllieGirl

Originally Posted by Jerseyrayne View Post
Well, we lived through tornado, then a hurricane, then an Ice storm in October of last year, and we are still here in Brimfield, Mass. I don't mind the snow, I just don't want to loose the electricity, because our coal stove doesn't work without it. We used every blanket in our house during the ice storm, lost electricity for almost 7 days. It really sucks when you can't even shower and have to do sponge baths in the cold. During the day wasn't that bad when the sun was out, but it got chilly at night. I did a lot of reading by flashlight and this time I plan on hand stitching the binding onto my extra large queen size quilt. Told DH we are too old for this, hahaha Thank you all, for thinking about us, Quilters are awesome.
Four years ago last week I was living in Kentucky and we had an ice storm come through the entire state. We were without power for eight days. I braved the showers because at least the hot water was warm. However I went to my husband's job site, a construction site that was running on generators, and washed my hair. It was horrible! I went around with 4-5 layers, wearing a stocking cap and hooded sweatshirt, plus a coat. The temps got down to about 10 degrees. We bought a standby generator after that. It automatically comes on when the power goes off and runs on gas.