View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 PM
JanTx

Default quilting on minky

There have been a couple of threads lately about using minky for backings. I chimed in on them as if I knew what I were doing. I have made several quilts with Minky backings, but sure have a lot to learn! I am also fairly new to FMQ, though I love to do it. I generally spray baste - or washable glue baste - and stablilize the quilt with straight lines before doing some FMQ in each block. (In this case, in each strip.)

Anyway - here's my latest effort. It's a baby quilt with batting and a minky backing. That makes it pretty heavy for a South Texas baby, but it should lay nicely on the floor and is so soft and cushy. I used batting because the backing showed through the white and light colors of the top.

I have a new Janome 6600 that I'm learning to use. The straight quilting was done with the dual feed foot (walking foot). The loop-de-loops and flowers were made with the FMQ foot.

I will be using store-bought satin binding and have sewn a stitch around the edges to help with that. I dread binding and really prefer to pull the backing over for the binding. Not possible with this one, though.

I can't wait to give this to the mom and dad to be. The dad was my daughter's best friend growing up. His mom and I are 2:00 AM friends - could call each other at that time for any reason.
Attached Thumbnails dsc00187.jpg   dsc00188.jpg   dsc00189.jpg