View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 AM
CarolynMT

Here is cutting/sewing directions for the easy block if you prefer not to paper piece. I personally am not a fan, but in the excitement of picking blocks friday night, the fact this was paper pieced was overlooked. The block if you look closely at it is just squares, rectangles and HST's.

Ok, so here is my interpretation of the block:

1. It is 12 ins finished, with 3 wide x 3 high, that would make the finished blocks 4ins square. Which would make each block 4.5ins to cut.
2. now lets name them Blocks 1 - 9, starting on first row, left to right.

so: 1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

3. The block is symmetric, therefore, mini-blocks 1, 3, 7 and 9 are the same; 2, 4, 6, and 8 are the same. and then there is 5. So there are only 3 types of mini-blocks

4. Ok, so you have the corner mini-blocks, which if you look are basically HST with a HST in the corner.
the middle mini-blocks are 2 equal rectangles.
the center is a square.
5. So, now we have broken down what we are looking at, what each block contains and that they are really designs we have done over and over.
6. Here is the cutting sizes (either print out or hand draw a sample of the blocks with the colors you are to be using for each block. just follow the picture)
mini-block 5 (center) = cut 4.5 in square
mini-blocks 2,4,6,8 (middle sides) = cut 2 rectangles, 4.5ins tall by 2.5ins and sew them along the long side
mini-blocks 1,3,7,9 (corner squares) = there are 3 pieces to this one, so I will break it down a little more for ease
a. outer corner block = cut 2 4.5in squares and then cut along one diagonal to make 4 HST's
b. inner corner block = cut 2 4.5in squares and then cut along BOTH diagonals to make 8 HST's
c. inner HST = cut 4 2.5in squares and then cut along one diagonal to make 8 HST's, recommend you do 2 of 2 different fabrics, then you would sew them into squares.
7. Now lets sew corner squares together.
a. first sew the 2.5in HST together,
b. then sew the short side of the smaller HSTs you made in part b above to the just finished 2.5in square in part A. Refer to the diagram as to orientation of those short sides. finished it should be a HST.
c. now sew that HST to the 4.5in HST you cut earlier.
8. At this point you have all the pieces, basically 9 4.5in squares. Now it is just a 9 patch.
9. If you are worried about sizing, just cut everything 0.5ins bigger and then trim down to a 4.5ins square at the end, should work.

If anyone would prefer a more "quilters cache" type version of this with diagrams etc. Just PM me and I will hammer it out and send it to ya.

Hope this helps remember we are expanding our skills and trying new things There are never any failures, just learning experiences!