View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM
wildyard

This is really interesting! Something so simple gets all confusing.. .sorta like the old game of telephone where a message is whispered from one person to another around a circle and ends up all changed from how it started. LOL

The best way to understand is really to read the explanation on the link provided earlier in this thread. I do use leaders and enders a lot, but only as piecing another project, not as little spidery scraps to toss out later. I agree that it only makes sense as a thread saver if I am putting those stitches to good use!
One thing that does cause confusion is the ender. Once you have sewn onto the ender, IT BECOMES THE NEW LEADER! I got a lot of extra blocks sewn before I figured that one out. LOL. I do a lot of chain stitching, so you only need to use the leader/ender when you are done with the particular things you are sewing and would be cutting the thread.
Instead, you grab an ender, stitch across it, CLIP IT APART FROM THE PIECE THAT IS FINISHED, and leave it under the needle. Now, when you begin your next sewing, THIS PIECE IS UNDER YOUR NEEDLE AND BECOMES YOUR LEADER.
You stitch off it, and on to the pieces you are going to join, and continue your piecing until you reach a point that you would again be cutting your thread.
Again, instead of cutting the thread, grab an ender, stitch onto it, and clip the thread at the end of your completed sewing section. The ender remains under your needle, and will thus become the leader when you start sewing again.
Once you have stitched across your leader, make a few stitches and sew onto your piecing an inch or so, then clip off the leader and place it on your finished pile for those blocks on the right side of the machine!!
I hope this makes some sense... I'm not so great at explaining things, but I love using this method and I get twice as much done in the process!. Hugsssssss and smiless!!
My favorite thing to do is make 4 Patch Poseys as leaders and enders. I cut a bunch out, then stack them on the right side of my machine where I have a special place for them.