Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Ok. I need some help and advice. I have a beautiful Pfaff 230 Standard that I am gifting to a friend that wants a walking foot machine to sew leather. I would like to put a walking foot attachment on this beautiful machine that will last. I have gotten a few conflicting reports and reviews on this but don't have anyone I can trust. I need the straight scoop on this. Is a walking foot necessary on this machine, or can leather be sewn on it at a high quality without the walking foot attachment? I don't mind spending money if it is well spent, but at the same time I would like to get something that will last. Maintenance on this is not an issue. It is more of a question of what to buy and if a walking foot attachment is the way to go. All help would be greatly appreciated.
~G~
How thick is the leather? I use a Consew commercial walking foot machine - it will sew about anything. My 15 clone will sew about anything if it isn't 'too' thick. The Consew is just a heavier version of a 15 or other and bigger motor - the walking foot attachment you can buy will never be tough enough for thick leather. Some of the 15 clones will lift higher than others. I had a Montgomery Ward made by Happy I wish I had hung on to - it had extra lift. Very nice machine.