View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM
conniemaried

Default how do you press the back of this star?

I took a class at my local quilt shop yesterday taught by a big name quilter. She had us making a wall hanging out of an eight legged star made of diamonds. She didn't let us press anything until the star shapes were finished, and then we only pressed the center of the star on the back, swirling all the tails of those eight diamonds in a circle. Mine came out looking horrid on the front. Another participent happened to be at the ironing board beside me, and hers looked much better on front. She said she had been previously taught to press open 4 seams and sew the center seam and the cross seam and press that all flat. It was too late for me to press those seams open, but I did manage to run a seam all the way across and it looks a little better. I would post a picture of the back of it, but it's too mangled looking to tell much. After I attached the corner blocks and setting triangles, the rest of the seams seemed to fall in place when I pressed them. To make my long story short, what is the correct way to finish those center seams on a star? There's got to be a way to make the seams come together nicely to a center point and not all lumpy and bumpy looking. Thanks for any advice and info.