View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by siss
sorry. apparently not quilters language.

i am a sewer not a quilter as i guess you have figured out. when sewing it is very important to know how much fabric you have before you start.

maybe i am way over my head and should just stick to sewing.
When your stash gets big enough, "scrap" quilting takes on a whole new dimension.

All kidding aside, I think that many of us have a basic idea of what (and roughly how much) fabric we have in reserve and go from there. I also like multi-colored patterns so the need for large pieces is not as crucial because fat quarters often do the trick.

When you make a 2-color quilt for example, or any specific non-scrappy pattern, it is important to have the right amount of fabric just as in "regular sewing."

I have seen two different approaches in labeling the fabric. Some quilters write the information on a piece of paper and pin it to the selvage of the piece. The amount of info depends on you.

Another method is the binder method. It is a little more involved. Some quilters cut a piece from the fabric and glue it on a binder page along with date purchased, where purchased, name and maker of fabric, and of course, how much. As the piece gets cut, the binder gets updated.

Having the binder is actually a good method when you go fabric shhopping. You'll always have the stash with you and can supplement what you have.

Hope that helps. ...and no, I don't think you're in over your head. Just plunge in and soon you'll have the quilting language down.