View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM
Peckish

Wow, that DOES sound like an adventure! I have a quilting friend who lived in AK for 9 years, it was only supposed to be 18 months but she LOVED it. All 3 of her boys were born there. She and I chatted a bit about Alaskan life a while back. She doesn't watch those Alaskan tv shows all the time, but she did say when she catches one and hears the native Eskimos speaking - just the sound of their voices! - a feeling of happiness and peace comes over her. I thought that was one of the absolute sweetest, nicest things I'd ever heard anyone say about a region. She said she'd go back in a heartbeat, regardless of the cold or the long dark winter days.

Hopefully you won't be allergic to moose and caribou! And what a wonderful opportunity, to be able to serve and help a community that so desperately needs what you have to give. Another quilting friend of mine has a therapist daughter who moved to Alaska, she works with children born with fetal alcohol syndrome, another great need in that state. She loves it there too!