View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Jennalyn

Default Starting a new quilting group - advice?

I've given my bestest friend the quilting bug something fierce over the past year. I convinced her to sign up for a French Braid class at a local quilt shop and now she's hooked. (It's worth noting that her braid is completed and gifted, whereas my braid is still a WIP!)

Since my Mom quilts casually, and she's gotten her Mom to sign up for a class with her, we've decided to start a little quilting group so that we can all meet up and just work on projects for an extended period without distractions. We started meeting at her house, but there's only so much space available at one small dining room table. Also, it's a bit of a drive for Mom 'n me.

We've found a library at a nice midway point between us and booked the room for six hours on the 23rd. If all goes well, we plan to book it again every few weekends and keep meeting up! We're calling ourselves "The Wonderbolts" because we're all fans of the new My Little Ponies series and it's a double-reference between fabric and the show.

Question 1: How can I go about advertising the meeting for any other local quilters who might be interested in joining us during that time? I don't expect many, if any, since we have to stick to weekends (work) and a lot of quilters seem to be busy during the weekends. But still, there might be someone else in the area with the time and interest.

Question 2: What should I bring? We're going to be meeting from 10AM-4PM, so we're planning on bringing some crock pot lunch foods. I'll bring my cutting mats and ironing board, since she doesn't have a full-sized. And of course we'll bring our individual machines and projects. Would anything else be a good idea?

Thanks guys!