Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM
AngelinaMaria

Default ? About Log Cabin Blocks and Fabric Placement, Do You Use Same Fabric for Same Log?

I am planning my first log cabin quilt. I have a collection of cream print fabrics, green fabrics and pink fabrics. These are all from the Maywood Wild Rose line and most have a little of the other colors as well. I was going to do some blocks half cream and half green, some half cream and half pink and then some half green and half pink and lay them out with the colors flowing diagonally downward.

I was wondering if it looks better to use the same fabric for the same log in each similar block?

Does it look better to have your darker color (or busiest print) on the outside largest log?

I only have enough prints to do a 13 log block (will cut the fabric 1.5 inches) --would finish at 7 inches. I would like to do the next size up (so 17 logs for a finished 9 inch size) and was wondering if it would hurt the look to use the same fabric for a few of the logs -as long as they aren't side-by-side? Maybe if I did this, I could use the same fabric for the inside smallest log and the outside largest log??

Thanks.