Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

The next two catch up blocks are H7 [Dec 9] and I7 [Feb 3][ATTACH=CONFIG]394806[/ATTACH]once again didnt paper piece because I like quarter square triangles. I always have made them the same way and just looked up some instructions online that you can all understand. I cut my QST - fabrics 1 1/2" larger than the finished size and trim down when I sewn it together and pressed.
Here the finished QST piece is 1 1/4" - so you need to cut 2 [2 3/4"] squares each of background and print. This will give you the four QST sections around the center.

this is the link for some great instructions: http://www.patchwork-and-quilting.co...triangles.html
if you prefer to paper piece - go for it!
I7 really bugged me - I'm glad this wasnt one of those blocks that you all made way way before me so I have the opportunity to share another approach before you get to it. [not that the other way is bad it just isn't exactly like Jane's] Like I said a few posts ago - the original looks like the teeny appliqued triangles are a continuation of the imaginary line that runs across the seamline between background and print in the four center square section. These are not HST although the easiest approach is to make them larger and cut them down. The finished "almost-HST" sections are 1 1/4" for a normal HST you add 7/8" to cut, or 2 1/8" however I added an additional 1/2" and cut 2 squares of each print and background 2 5/8" and made four HSTs. Then having the white come together in the middle, I added the print sashing between the squares and trimmed the finished center square unit to 3 3/4" - this cut the points off the outer edge, leaving more white. Once the outer borders were added log-cabin fashion, I determined where to place the teeny triangles in line with the white square made by the center.

Have fun!
Gus

gotta run to the store and walk doggy... then I will post J2, 9, 6 and K2, 8 and L8 and 11.... I know way ahead - but it doesnt even balance the wway behind I still have!!
Attached Thumbnails dj-h7-i7.jpg