View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Hobbs Polydown gives quilting beautiful definition. But if you really want the quilting to POP use two layers of batting.

This was done with a layer of bamboo on bottom, Hobbs Polydown on top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]394937[/ATTACH]

This was done with a layer of 80/20 blend and hobbs polydown on top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]394938[/ATTACH]

This was done with a layer of W&N and Hobbs poly down on top

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394939[/ATTACH]

Two layers does make for an extra warm quilt and does add weight; actually it is the cotton that is heavy or blend, poly batting is usually very light and it quilts very flat if heavily quilted. But a single layer of poly gives lovely definition to your quilting. Another brand is Quilters Dream but I have not tried their deluxe loft or their Dream Puff.

Edited to add, I have never had a bearding issue with Hobbs poly down or Quilters Dream poly. However, I hand quilted with quilters dream and I did get a bit of bearding when drawing my needle through. If you are concerned about bearding then spring for wool. Wool has gorgeous loft, gives almost trapunto like definition to your quilting, doesn't beard, is washable and is probably the nicest batting you can buy. It also carries a nice price tag but you get what you pay for.

Hobbs poly down does come on rolls. You may have to hunt around on line to find someone that carries it. I just wait for Connecting threads to run their 30% off sale and buy the prepackaged stuff in sizes I use a lot.
Attached Thumbnails creme-brulee-1.jpg   pumpkin-pie-close-up-cross-hatching.jpg   izzies-quilt-poodle-princess.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-13-2013 at 07:46 AM.