Thread: Backing
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Spray basting with 505 is a lot easier than pinning, and it actually does a better job because it keeps all 3 layers of the quilt sandwich in continuous contact. Pins establish contact only every 4 inches or so. (I prefer to spray baste on a table. I cannot get down and up from the floor easily, and my arms get too tired working on a wall.)

The other thing that helps *enormously* in preventing tucks and puckers when machine quilting is heavily starching the backing before layering. I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "paint" this solution onto the backing with a large wall painting brush until the fabric is saturated, wait a minute to allow starch to penetrate the fibers, toss in dryer, and then iron with steam. This stiffens the backing fabric so it is much more stable, therefore less likely to stretch or fold over on itself with handling. It also helps to spray starch the top heavily before layering -- again to add stability to the top so it is less likely to stretch and distort while you machine quilt.

Also check your machine, as the presser foot may be compressing the sandwich too much. Many machines allow you to adjust the presser foot pressure. This is especially important if you are using a thicker batting.