View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Sierra

Carol's quilt is a winner. Almost all my quilts (except those donated for a cause) are made specifically for the intended recipient. That said, once I realized I missed the boat, asked for the quilt back (they had to hunt in all the closets for it) and flat out asked for colors, ideas (didn't want "themes" or pictorials) and I ended up making a very soft-colored french braid which they seemed happy with. They are conservative, gentle people and most of my quilts are a bit wild.

If she doesn't want pictorials (Ayers rock, kangaroos, wide expanse of colorful land) then maybe something like what Carol did is the answer. Put the colors into an organized jumble (or if she is more rigid in her tastes) simply into a pleasant simpler organization. I am in the process of planning a quilt for a new DIL and I flat out asked her what she wants... She gave me a list of her favorite colors (gem tones, but NO lavender! and autumn colors) and she'd like a theme of our western ocean (Pacific) because she is moving due to the marriage and will miss her many walks on the wooded coast and beach. Maybe you need to flat out ask what this gal would like. If she still doesn't like what you come up with, give her a hug and tell her you love her anyway, and let it go.