Old 02-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Mummy Quilts

Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
do you need anything besides a straight stitch for your first machine? do you need to be able to lower the feed dogs? do you want something with widely used bobbins/needles or is brand-specific ok?
and lastly- does your heart pound more for a black machine, or a tan machine, or a more brightly colored one?
A straight stitch would be sufficient - I would like to be able to drop the feed dogs...

I'd like a machine that is relatively easy to get parts and needles/bobbins, etc.

As for color...I love the black machines, but not stuck on them. I think on that account I'll know it when I see it? (sorry to be vague!

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
For your first fixer upper, I'd stay clear of any Pfaffs or Berninas. Not only are they very expensive, the parts are hard to find and pricey. They're great machines, but can take a lot of work and are not for newbies. Stick to Singers and clones or badged machines for your first project.
Thank you - this is great to know, especially for a newbie I really appreciate it!
Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Any of the black Singers are good, some better than others depending on what you want to do. For a portable a Featherweight or 301 is tough to beat. Keep an eye out for cracking and crumbling wiring and missing bobbin cases especially on the FW and 301.

Jon
Thanks Jon - this is all great information - I've seen a lot of Featherweights - beautiful machines!
Originally Posted by nygal View Post
Well maybe it will happen for you like it did for me. After seeing all the great vintage machines I began to want one too. I said a litle prayer that I'd love to come across one someday.

Then about a month later while I was dropping off a few bags of clothes at a Goodwill Store I asked the lady working if she happened to have any vintage machines. I did not expect her response. She said "Yes, just the one over there". As she pointed over her shoulder I could see a black Singer vintage machine and I KNEW it was there just for me!!! I was thrilled. THAT was an answered prayer for sure! I bought it and a few days later it was oiled and works great!!! It's a Singer 99.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]395066[/ATTACH]
This is great to know - I would have never thought to ask at a Goodwill! Thank you!