Thread: Pattern prices
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
sap

Unhappy

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
As a quilter I understand the frustration in buying patterns. I also understand the single use issue. As a pattern designer I put a lot of time into designing my patterns. I have to have proofers make sure I have correct information and the correct cutting directions. I tend to over write my patterns. I don't want someone to buy one and say I can't figure this out! I also print my own patterns and have to purchase the bags. I fold the pattern sheets and stuff the bags. They go out to shops and distributors and are sold to quilters. I know that all of that is the price I pay to do business but I sure would like to make a small profit on my patterns. Selling direct to shops I receive half the pattern list price. Selling through the distributors I receive one third the list price. As I have applique patterns that tends to add to the costs. I am not trying to upset anyone. I am just giving some of the factors that go into selling patterns! Luann
I hear ya! But those of us that are on "Fixed incomes" are really finding more and more difficult to survive. When I retired in 2000. I could afford to buy an occasional pattern. Now I barely have enough to pay the bills. I have to make a tank of gas last a month.