View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Bearpawquilter

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I buy fat quarter bundles or jelly rolls or layer cakes and usually 2 coordinating fabrics from the line that I love for sashing and borders and binding. I buy usually 2 yards and 3 yards. Then I find something for the backing at my LQS. I'm not good with matching colors yet. I've been quilting since 1992, but colors are hard for me to mix together. What I think matches, the gals at the LQS say don't match, so that's why I buy fabric lines unfortunately. Maybe someday I will understand color better. I buy kits a lot too so I don't have to select

fabric.
The "gals at your local quilt shop" are not the quilt police. In fact they don't exist. Put together combinations that are pleasing to YOU!
I had the same question early on and realized there is no quick simple answer and it depends on the type of fabric, color, print, and how you will use it. It starts to come in to focus a lot better the longer you are into quilting because you know what you like, what you are drawn to and how you use certain fabrics. I personally love me a striped binding on the bias. For that you need a little more to allow for the diagonal cutting. Basics and blenders probably 2 yd. Cutting borders the length wise way is an excellent idea. No stretching and wavy borders. What an eye opener for me! A friend taught me that at a retreat and I still thank her for that. Worth buying that extra fabric or seam them. Piece your backs - add orphan blocks left over from the front - they are doing that all over the blogs right now. Scrappy bindings!!! Love them. Currently I am switching over to a more "modern quilt" look so am adding to my stash all the time. There are a couple of fabrics that I wish I had more of that are out of print. If you think a fabric is one of those for you, buy extra. You won't be able to get it forever. But there are yummy great fabrics coming out all the time.

Last edited by Bearpawquilter; 02-16-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: misspelled, punc.