View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Cowbelle

Default Need some help with 401 restoring

I recently picked up a 401A in a classic 50's cabinet, and it's been a real adventure getting it cleaned up. I've gotten the Triflow oil and grease, and have pretty much soaked everything for a week. Much of it works - and it does run, but I can't get the red stitch width lever to move to the left of center, and can't get the beige cam selector to move freely. More importantly, the top tension adjuster assembly was all in parts and I'm not sure how to re-assemble it. I did get the manual on my computer, but the drawing of the tension assembly is so small and blurred that I'm not able to follow it. I did order new springs for it from Sew-Classic. Can anyone tell me how the three tension discs go together? They have one side with printing and one side without - are they different? I can't tell. Any help would be much appreciated!!

I also have an old Singer Treadle - which came across the plains from Kansas to Arizona in a covered wagon with my great grandmother, then on to California, and now to Colorado. It also needs cleaning up! My daughter picked up a pink Remington for me - haven't even tackled her yet. Then I have a Bernina 730 which I have been using. Gads, how they multiply!! Am I hooked? Yeh!