View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 03:26 PM
alisonquilts

I keep stuff posted on Etsy that I haven't sold anywhere else and is lurking around the house anyway. I don't sell much - an occasional ornament at Christmas - but that is at least in part because I don't keep adding new stuff. At $0.20 per item for 4 months listing it is worth it to me just to have a place online I can send people to so they can see what sort of stuff I make. (Rather than setting up my own website, I mean.)

A few tips: 1.space out your new listings (even if you have ten ready to go on one day add them over a few days so that something new is popping up from your site all of the time)
2. make a treasury list (but don't feature your own things - that's cheesy). People will often check the treasury list maker's shop out of curiosity, and will then see your stuff.
3. don't be shy about favoriting other people's stuff. Even though other vendors are not your target customers any way you can cross-link with other vendors will increase your exposure. If someone goes to a vendor's site and likes their stuff the visitor may then go to the vendor's favorites....similar tastes and whatnot.

I wish your friend luck. Etsy is a great resource, and if you are willing to put the time into it, a great way to sell stuff.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I don't have any connection to Etsy, but I recently read in TIME or Newsweek or one of those mags that the look of Etsy is slowly edging out the small crafter for the larger mfgrs? I guess there is more money for them that way.......have any on you who are involved in Etsy noticed a different group of vendors? I am just curious to know how if what I read is true, not knowing anyone personally who deals with this vendor......
Definitely the vendor pool is changing, and it is clearly heading toward more commercial-looking vendors. What I am seeing is more like fabric stores selling through Etsy, though, and not large manufacturers.

Alison