View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
omak

I do this too!
If I do ever walk in with a project, I always round up to the nearest yard, and if I happen to REALLY like the fabric, I will buy up to three yards, lately, have started buying ten yards at a time ... and, may start buying bolts ... just to use up all my other stuff!
And, I always say the same thing: The leftover is seed for more fabric <g> .. same with extra blocks... when I find a project, I will rarely make exactly the number of blocks needed. I don't know "make 4" ... I understand twelve or twenty five or a hundred! so, there are always extra blocks ... seed for more quilts of some kind.
If I find a line that I like (as in there are many different textures) rather than calculate a quilt and have to stand there and figure something out, I will buy half a yard of each part of the line ... the jelly rolls are cool, but more expensive than just making your own ..

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
I am like you in that I only buy fabric for a specific project at this point. I am really not good at calculating how much fabric I will need so I end up buying a lot more than I probably need and voila! stash! I think if I lived further from shops, I might be more likely to buy just because I like it but there are like 3 LQS, a Joanns, 2 Walmarts and a fabric outlet all within 10 miles of me. If one doesn't have something, one of the others will.