View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 PM
DustysMomma

Customs going from the US to Canada is notoriously slow and messy. At my old job, I shipped an accessory for a set of drums to a customer in Canada in October, 2011. It sat in their customs office forever before they released it. Then UPS only took a slip out to the address to let the man know it was released, so he calls me wanting to know why they didn't deliver it. Of course, I had to refer him back to UPS. He calls them and they say they don't have it, but I can see it sitting there on the tracking and have the exact time & date of when customs released it. Well, I call UPS & come to find out, they'd processed the release, and notified UPS, but hadn't actually released it. They held it for another 2 or 3 days first. They wouldn't tell him how much the duties and import taxes were on it until they showed up at the door to collect, and then of course they couldn't take anything but certified funds, so it was another couple days before they came back because of where he lived. He ended up making a special trip to another town to pick up the package, only to find out it was on the truck already, and by the time he got home, they'd dropped it off at his door. That was additionally disturbing, since it was marked "adult signature required." I got the original notification that it had been handed over to Canadian customs on October 19th, and it wasn't left on his doorstep until November 9th. (I still have access to that email account online and I just had to go back and find this shipment when I saw this!)