Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
JaneAustenFan

Default Framed blocks pattern for Japanese fabrics - can anyone help?

Hello everyone. I wonder if anyone can help with my query.

My dearest friend has given me some Japanese style print fabrics (various colours) that she bought in the USA some years ago that have been sitting in her loft and she would like a quilt making out of them. I'm new to quilting (only just finished my first quilt) and thought about doing a 5 inch square framed block with a black frame and then a small deep gold sashing to make each one stand out a bit more. Some fabrics will need to be fussy cut because of the print on the fabric (eg a kimono) which is fine. The initial central print will be cut at 5.5 inches with a 1.5 inch frame cut and then there's a small 1 inch sashing. It will look great I'm sure.

My query is as I was just going to do lots of blocks as above and put them together (no formal pattern to follow as such), I would like to do something a little different with these blocks but I'm not sure what. As my experience is limited, can anyone recommend a pattern and/or a different way of separating the blocks to give it a slightly different look? My friend has done so many wonderful things for me in the past and it would be great if I could make her something that would make her happy as she's going through a lot right now and is really unwell.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I hope someone can help/advise.

Anna Marie x