View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 AM
IQuiltnFL

Default Be careful what you wish for...

I just acquired one at what I thought was a reasonable price. It sews straight but that appears to the limit. I know you are a great tech guy and your stories have had my attention here. my questions on a vintage Brnina group lead me to think the part that engages the fancy stitches is frozen. I'm not very mechanical I find but someone suggested using a hair dryer to soften potentially petrified gunk...yikes! I can handle a hair dryer I think so I might try that. My machine symptoms are that the two required levers will move but the one tha changes the stitch (on the cam stack) cannot fully disengage from the zig zag slot. Ok! I know I'm in the weeds on this tech stuff now. That's as much as I understand. The other thing I understand is that I may not be able to find anyone who can work on a 54 year old Bernina. Or worse, I may find the person but at a terrible price.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Annaquilts,

We are looking at a Bernina Record 530 right now, trying to figure out if we have enough money for it. I don't think so, my wife is drooling .....
And we have a question. The one we are looking at seems to have a knee bar rather than a foot controller. Is that right, or should it have a foot controller? I don't know anything about Berninas.

Joe