View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM
KyKaren1949

Do not use any of the oil or lubricant that came with your machine. You have no idea how old it is. It's not that expensive, so pick up some new.
The AF indicates your machine was made between 1938 and 1941. If the first numbers are a 000-152, it was made in 1938, 152-397 indicates 1939, 397-740 indicates 1940, 740-999 indicates it was made in 1941.
Google Featherweight and you will find all kinds of information about caring for your machine. They say to use sewing machine oil on a soft cloth to clean your machine. Don't use any type of household cleaner for fear of destroying your decals.
This is some of the information I have collected: If you have just rescued the machine from a dusty cellar where it has satwithout a case then I'd recommend a gentle foaming cleaner called Tuff Stuff.It's made by STP and should be available at your auto store. I'd recommendwaxing the machine afterwards—neutral boot polish from a Western outfitters isgreat for this. You want a hard wax, not a cream. Don't use a car wax—most ofthese have a degree of abrasive in them designed to remove traffic film—andsome of the paint.
Always test any cleaner on a small, hidden part of a machine first to ensurethere is no unexpected reaction
For regular daily cleaning a simple spray-on furniture polish will do thetrick. But mask off the tension assembly or the polish will build up there andavoid getting too much on the outside of the belt where the bobbin winder wheelruns.
For the case, you can use the Tuff Stuff again, but follow up with a black boot polish asthis will help mask any rubbing on the case.
I used household cleaner to wash down the inside of my case, then sat it out in the sun with the lid open on a hot sunny day to remove the odors from it being stored. These little machines require regular oiling to remain happily running. Be sure to locate the oiling diagram and follow it diligently!
Have fun! You'll love her as I do my five!