Thread: Light Box
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
costumegirl

I love my light box! I would be lost without it! Mine is homemade and has been in use for years!! It is great for transferring patterns for applique.

I do the same as Alexandra, above, but if I want to make templates of applique "pieces" for a pattern, I use freezer paper.

Place the photo copied pattern upside down (right side facing towards top of the light box) and then using freezer paper on top (shiny side down facing box) trace the pieces you need.
Cut the pieces out with a 1/4" seam allowance around the outside so that it can be turned under when stitching on the applique.
You can then put the freezer paper on the wrong side of your fabric and gently press with your iron - shiny side of freezer paper down facing the fabric so it will stick together.
Cut out your applique piece - next turn under edges and press with your iron (so they will stay in place when stitching).
Gently pull/remove the paper from the fabric piece and stitch your piece onto your project.

Sometimes to help the the edges stay under, a small touch of liquid starch can be applied with a toothpick or small brush on the wrong side of the fabric piece, between the edges and the applique piece. A small dab with an Elmer's school glue stick can also be used to do this.

Last edited by costumegirl; 02-17-2013 at 11:19 AM.