View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Mary_L

Default Janome vs Viking

I just joined this group and want to ask some advice. I started quilting 4-5 years ago and have pieced 6 or 7 baby quilts on my 36 year old Bernette. I hand quilted all of them since by current machine does not do that.

I am looking to buy a new machine so I can both piece and free motion larger queen size quilts. I have two price ranges with 2 choices in each range so far:
1. Range under $1000 - A Janome 4120DC - that does has a standard sewing harp space or a Viking Sapphire 835 that has I think 9"

2. Range just under $2000 - A Janome Memory Craft 6600P or a Viking Sapphire 835

I would like to stay at $1000 but an concerned that the Janome will not be the best for free arm. I would like to go for the Viking 835 since it has the harp space but am concerned about machine and I believe they are discontinuing this model

I could go to the $2000 level but ouch! It's a bit more than I really should spend.

So my questions are: Can I really free motion a queen quilt on a machine that has a standard harp space? Is the Viking 835 a good machine and will the discontinuation cause problems down the road? If I spend the $2000, is the Viking 835 or the Janome 6600P the better choice?

Thanks for your feedback - I really appreciate it.