Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM
TexasGurl

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​I feel the same way about people who take antique patterns, rename them and make a profit out of them. New quilters have no idea that the patterns are free. I have even found quilt magazines lately renaming traditional patterns made out of modern fabrics and offered as new.
There really are very few NEW or "original" patterns in quilting, 95% are just repeats and variations of 100-150+ yr old blocks and patterns. Some applique patterns ARE original, and art quilts, for example.
I find it amusing when I read about all these "quilt designers" today, including some of the "modern quilters" and their "ground-breaking designs" and the magazines & fabric manuf. promoting them.
You see the SAME quilts over and over again in most magazines and many books. Just different fabrics. Their designs are not unique or new, they are just four-patches, nine-patches, churn dashes, flying geese, strips, chains, squares and triangles, etc ... sewn in new fabrics, all trying to look different !
Take away the modern fabrics - and there's nothing different from most utility or scrappy farm quilts made in the last 100+ years ...

Last edited by TexasGurl; 02-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.