Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Cre8tvlwyr

Here are my next two blocks:
I6 and BR6.[ATTACH=CONFIG]396189[/ATTACH]

First a note about I-6 [wk of Jan 27]- I found it to be rather basic applique. Just like B8 Nancy, the center section is actually made of four individual pieces sewn together before they are appliqued. Block number F-9 uses the same principle. The star centers of B8 and I6 are appliqued on top of the background. You join the four sections from the center up to 1/4" from the inner points where it joins the background. Purpose for this?? you ensure integrity of the inner points - less chance of fray and the points will actually turn out more 'pointy.' In F-9, it is the outer sections of background that is divided into four sections. At first you wonder - why?? You can achieve much crisper points by doing so with less chance of fray. There are no real Y-seams in these pieces because they are not 'inset seams'... does this make sense??

For those who have not yet tackled BR 6 [wk of Dec 2]- I changed it a bit. Notice that Jane's large triangle goes to a point at the top. Both thatquilt and the book pattern have cut it off.

the points - outer and inner - of the side triangles are 1 3/8" apart:
1. draw the triangle border on paper-piecing pattern - two straight lines 1/2" wide [remember to add seam allowance when you do the final cut on your fabric!]
2. starting at the point where your bottom edge is, make a mark every 1 3/8" to indicate the bottoms of the triangles at the base line.
3. at the top line, mark exactly midway [begin first mark at 11/16" = halfway between 5/8 and 3/4; then continue by measuring 1 3/8" from that mark]

I simply continued the big triangle upward to a point and the fourth side triangles ended at a perfect spot for me to sew a tiny rectangle of blue across the middle and add to that the template I created for the very top. This is easier to see in the picture. That little arrowhead center I made by sewing a 3/4" strip of blue on either side of a 5/8" strip of background. The center 'white line' is less than 1/8" wide. I joined this piece very carefully by hand a mere 3/16" above the top blue rectangle [this will become a triangle when I applique the arrow top piece template of background fabric over the unit.] Jane's arrowhead is much more delicate than the sketch.
Hope this all makes sense! [I haven't trimmed it yet because I've misplaced my Jane triangle ruler ]
Gus[ATTACH=CONFIG]396190[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dj-i-6-br6.jpg   dj-br6.jpg  

Last edited by Cre8tvlwyr; 02-18-2013 at 07:58 PM.