Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM
peggymunday

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
Ok, dumb newbie...you really ARE "ripping" it when you say "ripping" the fabric! And all this time, I thought "ripping" was when you used scissors and didn't have to actually "cut" but "slid" the scissors through the fabric (like they do sometimes in the fabric store when they use that metal guide and a really good pair of scissors.
I GET IT!!! (insert the dopey-idiot smiley here).
You were correct in calling that ripping - it's a rip/cut when you slide the scissors along while cutting the fabric. We used to use that cut on most fabrics when I worked at Piece Goods many years ago, and then when I worked at Hancock Fabrics in more recent years. I was buying fabric at Walmart about a year ago when the fabric dept was selling out in a nearby town, and the fabric associates were pulled from whatever dept that was handy. Of course, the one they sent didn't know alot about fabric - in fact, because she was left handed, she was having a time cutting the fabric. With her permission I cut quite a few of my selections while she watched (I had a buggy full of fabric) and before I left had taught her how to rip/cut. It certainly makes cutting alot faster!