View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 AM
GramMER

Default Moda Snow Days Fabrics

Our eldest grandson has just been declared cancer free and I wanted to make a quilt for him and his wife. So just before we came back to India the last time, I ordered what I thought would be ample cloth for a queen sized quilt. I purchased Moda "Snow Days" because it had the shades of blue and gray they liked and have begun putting it together in what looked like an easy pattern "16 Patch plus Pinwheels" (http://www.maryquilts.com/16-patch-and-pinwheels/). The pinwheels have turned out very well and today I have begun the 16 patches which seem pretty too.

Now here is my problem. I have realized I probably should have bought border fabric before we left too because it is extremely hard to find online now. I ordered four charm packs (makes 40 pinwheels) and three jelly rolls, but what about the borders? Hancock's of Paducah (http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item...-Days--srcin-1) seems to have a few colors left and they are on sale, but they do not have any jelly rolls.

Question #1. The directions on the pattern call for 31 pinwheel blocks and 32 16-patch blocks for a quilt size is 56x72 (twin maybe?). Should I double that for a queen? The blocks are 8 1/2" unfinished. I am concerned I will not have enough.

Question #2. For sure I need material for borders. IF I have enough to make the top, how much cloth do I need to make at least two 5" to 6" borders all around? I plan to make a dark "stopper border" of the navy and then add at least two other colors.

This is a big problem for me and I appreciate anyone who would be willing to help me. I already emailed the lady who made the green 16-patch pattern to ask if she had measurements for a larger quilt and she said she did not have time to answer individual questions like that. What to do?

Please email me if you have any suggestions. I surely would appreciate any help I can get at this point.
Attached Thumbnails m-m-quilt-blocks.jpg