Thread: Am I a meanie?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Missysgottohelp

As a beginner quilter I learned this lesson pretty quickly. My wonderful mom asked to make a full size quilt for my SIL. I said no problem. This was the beginning of January and I was going to Texas to see her the beginning of March. Since I'd never made a quilt that big I didn't realize how much more time it would take to finish it. I had to work on it every spare minute I had and I hated every minute of doing that quilt. I got it done on time and my SIL loved it. But I will never do any more quilts on a time line. It's either when I have time and I want to do it or it will not get made. Also when I got to Texas and gave the quilt to my SIL my Aunt was there and she started on this well you can make this quilt for this person and so on. She had me making quilts for all her family. I quickly said that I would not be making any of those quilts. I told her she could let me know what colors everyone liked and that IF I wanted to make them one somewhere down the road I would know what colors they liked. I went on to tell her what it cost just for all the material and batting and that my wonderful MIL quilted it for me for free but if I had to pay someone to quilt the tops what it would cost me to finish a quilt and then she shut up. My mom is still after me to make one for my brother, I told her I would but I just didn't have the time or money right now. I want to enjoy my quilting not hate it. So I will make what I want, when I have time and I don't feel quilty at all.