View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
KathyC9511

Default Handi quilter 16 tension issues

I recently found an 18 month old Handi Quilter that a lady purchased new and only used it to quilt on table runner before getting ill. Her daughter had to move her to an assisted living center, and thus, is clearing out her home. The daughter does not sew and asked the dealer who her mother purchased the machine from to help sell the machine. I feel very fortunate to find this almost new machine.

I have been quilting for about 9 years. I take pride in my self taught skills. I have a Janome Spec. Ed. 11000 that I have used to piece and quilt my quilt tops. I recently retired and will be turning 60 in July. My wonderful husband told me to get the Handi Quilter because he know how much I love quilting. So now I have this wonderful new toy!

I have signed up for two Craftsy classes which I feel have added to my confidence.

I am currently working on two quilts that I will be entering in my guild's upcoming quilt show in April.

One is a Lone Star quilt and the other is Anita's Arrowhead. One has an ivory quilt back, the other is a bright yellow.

My dilemma is that I want to use white bobbin thread for the entire back of the Arrowhead quilt, but use different color thread on the quilt top. I have tried quilting the mottled red border with like color thread with white bobbin thread. No matter how much I try to adjust my tension, the white bobbin thread shows up in the red thread.

I called a Handi Quilter rep. today and she said no matter how much I try to adjust the tension, I will always see the bobbin thread. She said I should use the same color thread in the bobbin and the top thread. I told her this will make the back of my quilt a "rainbow" of colored thread. She said all the great quilters use this technique on their award winning quilts.

Any Handi Quilter owners out there who could offer your opinion to a newbie???

Look forward to hearing from you!