View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:33 AM
KalamaQuilts

Originally Posted by squirtygirl View Post
I square my blocks up, but when I sew them into rows the seams don't always match up. HELP!!!
the problem is probably already in your own words "I square up my blocks"
If they need squaring up there are several solutions.

The fabric needs to be pressed flat before cutting (I also starch as I fall in the prewashers camp)

Cutting has to be consistently correct. An inch is an inch is an inch, BUT different brand rulers have different sized lines on them. Do you consistently cut on the line, short of the line, over the line? Even a 1/16 off will add up when you put 30 or 40 or 90 blocks together.

And piecing...You have to know where the scant quarter falls using the foot you use.

the easiest way to do this is making sample 9 patches using 1.5" strips plus the steps above.
Often the first three strips sewn together measure correctly across when pressed...
but once cut and reassembled in the 9 patch the block will suddenly comes up short of true. Because those crossing seams eat up a bit of fabric behind your back Keep making them until it all falls right.
I have a quart baggie full of these 9 patches, they remind me no one knows everything...

I promise you, if you revisit your basics (including the squint advice above) you'll never have to waste time squaring up blocks again. And I never pin until I have the long assembly seams to do.
Best wishes and happy quilting!

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 02-20-2013 at 07:38 AM.