Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
RavenLunaStitch

Default Rag Quilt ? Part 2--Sewing pre-snipped blocks--Possible without sobbing??

First of all, I LOVE my Accuquilt Go Baby cutter. It slices through layers of heavy flannel like butter. I am using the rag block die for the first time on flannel and trying to sew the blocks together is really making me want to cry.

Trying to keep all those snipped ends under control while sewing these rows together is like wrestling a gazillion greased baby octupi. I am having to use a much larger seam to make sure I "catch" all the ends and still end up with corners not totally connected at times. I have to turn it over after every row and check every single intersection and no matter how careful I am, there is always a weak join somewhere.

The rag die seemed like such an amazing idea, BUT I am now very disillusioned with the whole process. I have discovered that it takes the same amount of time to make a rag quilt with precut blocks, just taking a LOT more time (and frustration) to sew together accurately, totally negating the time saved not having to snip afterward.

Any tips from you Accuquilt rag die users? I am using flannel but am still going to try starch before trying to assemble rag quilt #2. It's all I can think of to help keep this mess under control. Yikes!