Old 02-20-2013, 04:19 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
(pun intended) Sew, I mentioned in a previous post that I am going to take a few of the "old ladies" to a Steampunk convention to demonstrate what Victorian sewing machine parts are SUPPOSED to be used for...

I've been a medieval reenactor for more than 20 years and have a closet full of garb that is historically correct(ish) and I can usually date outfits to within a couple decades IF it is pre 1600, but I have NO idea how to dress or sew "Victorian Style". I also know that the whole "steampunk" crowd is not into authenticity thing so much, but I would rather dress the part of the demo I'm doing.

I know this is a Quilting board not a sewing or costuming board, but I figured I would start here with the nice people before I head into uncharted blogs and such...

Anyone have any suggestions of where to find and how to tell the difference between patterns for CLOTHING not costumes of the Victorian period?

and Yes, I intend to sew them on the Victorian machines.
I have done a bit of costuming myself - 1740 - 1790 then some CW and some cowboy - cowboy was a ton of fun... we did a lot of impromptu shoot outs but so many were into the drinking we dropped out - didn't feel safe with that mix. There are companies that specialize in various period clothing patterns so focus on one time period some on another and some have a wide variety of eras.