Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by labeelady View Post
Well, the parts arrived, and I discovered I'd ordered the wrong belt. I had ordered a motor belt, not a timing belt. Which is okay because now I have a spare in case the old one breaks. The timing belt itself is in pretty good shape considering, however I have a feeling it may have been replaced at one point because that top gear had also been replaced. Part of the older gear was still inside the machine!

I uploaded the pic to the other topic, however the link to the photo is:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...9-dsc00595.jpg

The machine sews really nice, although it has no reverse lever. One has to turn the fabric around to sew backwards.
The cabinet it's in has a lever you push with your knee to activate the foot pedal which hangs on the inside of the cabinet. It also does not have a thread cutter.
Pat,
The stitch length knob IS the reverse button. Push it in to go backwards. Almost every Singer and other machine made in from the 60s up till they started with the plastic clam shell bodies use that design.
The 413s are pretty light so when you push the reverse button it might scoot away from you. I have to hold the bobbin winder knob with my index finger as I push the reverse button with my thumb to prevent that.

Joe