Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM
moreland

Default A bit of Irony --old may trump new sewing machines

I have two relatively new machines (10-15 yr range)--One Bernina and one Elna. When the Bernina froze up on me, I switched to the Elna. One day later, the Elna would not get out of bobbin winding mode, so I packed it up and dug our my "newest" machine. I spent my snow day yesterday sewing away on my Featherweight which is over 60 years old and sews beautifully.
I can speed along on it a lot faster than on either of the computer machines and since it is single needle, straight stitch only--that is what it does and my seams are "perfect"--wonderful machine. Here in our town we got a little over 7" of snow, but much of the state and surrounding areas had more like a foot of the white stuff.
I am working through my scrap strips--have all the blues sewn and cut into blocks; most of the lighter strips are done, but still have a day's worth of browns & blacks to work up along with a few lights I will work in with them for the strip piecing. No idea when I'll get them put into quilt tops, but the mood will strike "someday" and I will get them made. Will have more than a hundred 91/2" blocks when I get done. Will be nice to have empty scrap drawers all ready to be filled up again.