View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by Suzette316 View Post
I'm so glad for you that you turned this down. DNA testing results on dogs is highly unreliable. I wish more vets would make this fact known. It's so expensive and people aren't getting what they think they are for all that money.
Yes, I should clarify that my vet was not actually advocating this. She was just saying it jokingly that if I really want to know... She probably has some clients for whom $100 would seem trivial enough that they might, in the same way they might go to a palm reader, for entertainment reasons. There's also a chance the test could pick up some genetic disease that could be helped if treated early. The science of this is probably still in its infancy. Someday soon there will no doubt be dating services where people have been screened so that they don't meet potential mates who have the same bad recessives. Dog breeders are already citing that sort of testing on their websites, for example, "Both parents genetically tested negative for hip dysplasia" or whatever. I don't know how reliable it is, but it probably helps their business.