Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Valleypeach

Default Repairing old hanky butterfly quilt-- NEWBEE!

Hello, I am a beginner quilter. In fact, I have only completed one quilt in my life, so far. 15 years ago I made this hanky butterfly quilt for my daughter as a college graduation gift. The butterflies were machined -appliqued, and the entire quilt was machine quilted with a little featherweight. Daughter sent it back to me a few months ago with some tatters on some of the hankies. A few I think I can just carefully mend, but I will need to replace at least one of the butterflies completely! My plan is to carefully snip off the fabric from the old hankie. Then appliqué a fresh hanky/butterfly BY HAND, trying to catch only the top of the quilt. lastly, try to quilt the hankie, again only going through the top piece. My fear is I don't want to trash the lovely design on the reverse side, created originally by machine. Do you have any tips, tricks, cautions, advise, before I start this? I really appreciate your expertise! I guess I will advise her to be sure to dry clean only in the future. Photos attached... Thx again..
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg