Thread: Contract
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by franc36 View Post
Jan, I love your contract! How do you find fabric, thread, and batting at such a low price?
I should have made it clear that THIS particular contract was with a customer who wanted a 1970s quilt replicated. They were quite elderly and not interested in a quilt "lesson" on fabrics, battings and so forth. We agreed that I would NOT be able to give them a good quote until I'd "shopped" for the fabric; I took about 6 weeks to do this part of the process. Then I wrote the contract, mailed it to them, asked for them to sign it and send the deposit, and return it to me for my signature. I sent them a copy, then started on the quilt

I knew I would have to raid the stashes of a few friends who have been collecting since the early 1980s like me, and I'd would also be able to use some of the Keepsake fabrics from the lower end at Joannes to "match" the fabrics in their original old quilt. I also found fabrics on $4-5 sale at a couple of places online that allowed me to keep the overall cost down. They asked for a polyester batting (I gagged and choked - haven't used it in years!) and I found that on sale as well. I was able to pass most of this discounting on to them.

Usually I would be charging approx. $11-13 per yard for fabric.

Sorry I wasn't clear; but, please modify this form to suit your own situation!!

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 02-22-2013 at 10:01 PM.