Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Gladys - I had looked at both tutorials for BR10 and they are similar. The thing that I didnt like was the fact they both cut the diamonds in half resulting in an extra seam which breaks up that piece of fabric. If it doesn't bother the person making it - it certainly is simpler! But I wanted to keep the diamonds intact.

I did the paper-piecing parts for BR 9 & 10 but still need to sew them together.... maybe I will take pictures of my 'progress' in a couple of minutes.

I finished H2 [wk of Nov 25] and J1 [wk of March 10] this morning:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]397539[/ATTACH]
I noticed - still need to wet the marking pen off H2 triangles so I dont press it in!

J1 is straight applique - easier when you trim down a bit smaller than a 1/4" seam allowance... think I use between 1/8 and 3/16"

H2 - I paper pieced the three rows of triangles and sewed them together. I trimmed the triangle center such that I had an exact 1/4" seam allowance around all sides. Then I cut the border pieces leaving close to 1/2" on the outside edge, but making sure that the inner seam allowance was exactly 1/4". I carefully sewed each inner border to the proper sides of the center piece - starting and stopping exactly 1/4" from the ends. I sewed the diagonals by hand -
TIP - when you have a mitered border around a small block [any size actually] - best approach is to press - not iron - the square down. smooth the corners and finger press the true diagonal/miter corner in. Hand stitch [applique] the corners without the triangles. Mark the other mitered corners for triangle placement and cut your triangles. Start by hand stitching from the outer corner of the block to the marking of the top of the triangle, finger press in that top point of your applique piece, pick it up with your needle and tack that baby down put a pin at the next corner as you go down that side, make the next point and continue around.
I thought it was a fun block - and since I had ordered the similar fabric from Brenda, I really liked the way it turned out. [Like the paddle block too Cindy!]
happy Sunday sewing!!
Gus
Attached Thumbnails dj-h2-j1.jpg