Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
i had a new Schmetz topstitch needle in the machine, and i replaced it with another new one during the process of trying to figure out what was wrong. I don't usually use a topstitch needle and I actually wondered if it was part of the problem, but had read to use a topstitch one for FMQ, so left it.

I was thinking more about this - the 503a just not being good for FMQ shouldn't explain all the issue. Even when I had the walking foot on it was breaking. I may try it with regular thread in the bobbin - except that it was always the top thread that broke. the sewing machine shop person did clean between the tension disks with alchohol and a bit of fabric, just in case there was dirt in there.
If you had a slant shank walking foot on and were still getting thread breakage, then there's something amiss. Because although mine is a terrible FMQ'er, it's a wonderful straight line quilter and piecer. I don't know if you've also switched out your bobbin, but some are just plain bad. Especially the "new" repro ones coming in from China. Your machine also may need some adjustment in the bobbin area. And honestly, if you can't get it to quilt with a walking foot, I'd take it to a different repair person. The "Too Thick of thread" comment over regular, 50 wt. cotton thread is just wrong.

As those above said, the 15 will be your best bet for FMQing and I bet you see quite an improvement:>