Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
callen

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Carol,

Besides the April1930s, you can get cord sets for the Featherweight at Sew-Classic.

As for the case, my wife and I tried a bunch of things. What seemed to work the best was a bag of ceder wood shavings. It seems to have reduced much of the odor. However it still has the musty odor if left closed for a long time.

I've read that it's the glue they used that makes the smell.

There is another thread here about getting a mew or original FW case, lots of suggestions in there too.

Joe
Thank you Joe & Pat M - it was Sew Classic that I had dealt with before. I am going to try either place if I can't get someone to re-do the wiring.
As for the smell, I did not even think about cedar shavings but I will give it a try. Someone else had also suggested to leave it out in the sun as apparently the sun will help to get rid of the smell, after filling it with newspaper. I did try the newspaper thing but did not put it in the sun. I had left it out in our shed in the back yard thinking that being out in the fresh air but protected from the elements would help but it has not. Leaving it in the sun is certainly worth a shot. Thanks again for your experienced input.
Carol