View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 AM
AndysC

Default Folding, folding, folding fabric...

Just a little tip for any newbies and a question. The tip - keep up with organizing your fabric from the BEGINNING!!! I was very fortunate to have several people give me fabric to build my stash. Now, I am trying to oganize it and it is a bit overwhelming. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it has taken HOURS and HOURS and HOURS to organize. My hard-learned advice - neatly fold and put away each piece as it comes into the home to aviod one big overwhelming project! MY QUESTION - How on earth do you arrange fabric so that it makes sense. First, I separated out all the ones that go with projects I am currently working on and put it in one pile. Next, holiday fabrics. Then, novelty prints. The rest I am trying to organize by color, but it is soooo hard. Do you just go from light to dark in each color, or do you separate out solids and ones that read as solids, ,etc. Do you keep certain lines together, or do you arrange them by color also. Also, do you just wind up with one big whopping pile of *multicolored fabrics* that cant really be classified. Sorry if this is hard to read, the right side of my keyboard died so I dont have enter, quotes, appostraphe, queston mark, etc. I will post a picture when I get everything as organized as I can. Finally, to everyone out there who so graciously sent me part of their stash - THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I now have so many beautiful things to work with! I am planning on making quilts for two womens sober shelters that helped me so significantly when I was homeless. I think that if I buy background materials and backings, I have enough to make one for each bed in each shelter (34). Will likely take me years to do, but I feel ready to get started! SEW excited!!!! I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!!!!