View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM
PJisChaos

Question Need help choosing a color scheme

I am on a mission, to make wedding quilts for all 3 of my kids. Before they get married, or even engaged, just to put them up until it's time to hand them out. First up is the middle son's, as he is closest to actually getting married. My dilemma is this... Would you stick with the main color being your childs favorite and then build around that? OR, in the case of this particular child, would you include the potential DIL's colors as well? They have been together for over a year now and have been living together for 8 months. They are "promised" to each other, (I guess this is the new "engaged"..?), and have been talking marriage for a month or so now.
If I was to use both their colors, the palette would be:
Teal (son)
Hunter Green(hers)
Royal Purple (hers)
& Mustard Yellow (hers)
blech! is all I can think after pulling these colors and variants of them from my stash. I just can't see them coming together "nicely". But, that's maybe just me. I do tend to lean towards blues, lol.
I am afraid that if I were to make a joint combo and things fall apart, the quilt would be a waste. No, I don't see that happening but ya just never do know in this day and age.
So, what would you do??
And, if you were to use all 4 colors or any combo of them, what would you choose? I am thinking of a double wedding ring if I can trim it to 3 colors, but which ones? Or a remake of my first quilt, the Lover's Knot from quilters cache. I am actually leaning more towards this last one as I think it will fit their colors better but... still just simply stuck here.
I appreciate all input and ideas, or even thoughts about this. So, thanks ahead of time!!